Burning Man too Hippy-dippy for You? Then the Elements Festival May Be the Trippy Bacchanalia You’re Looking For
While obviously the weeklong bacchanalia of Burning Man appeals to many of a certain mindset, the reality of lugging 7 days worth of all the things needed to keep oneself alive (you know, like water) into the desert – it being a place that’s really hot and shade free last time we checked – keeps us firmly planted in NYC. But where to let our arts, music, and sustainable living flags fly, while also getting our summer freak on and watching something burn? Look no further than this weekend’s Elements Arts and Music Festival, presented by the demented party people at BangOn!.
Coming this Saturday, August 22, to the very Mad Max backdrop of South Red Hook Grain Elevator (best venue name ever), Elements will combine underground electronic music, art installations, fire performances (the aforementioned burning stuff), all on five stages, and combined with a nod to sustainability in the form of solar cell phone chargers and biodegradable cups, which can double as food if you’re wasted enough.
Here are ten freaky Elements amazements that will help you get your BangOn! on this weekend.
- They’re promising something called a model drunk-tank. Surely alone worth the ticket price.
- Sets by amazing electronic artists you’ve barely heard of like Shpongle, XXYYXX, Paper Diamond, Amtrac, Anna Lunoe, and Liquid Stranger – but will be excitedly Tweeting about on Monday. Actually, you should know Liquid Stranger.
- Five themed stages named Fire, Water, Earth, Air and Surprise. Is Surprise the fifth element? Will Milla Jovovich be a part of it? Hmm.
- Death defying aerial performances! Yeah, you pretended not to care when your parents took you to Vegas – but now you can drunkenly oooh and ahhh.
- A 25-foot moving space ship. As opposed to your run of the mill stationary space ship.
- Stuff to buy! Art, clothes, food from food trucks. BYO glowsticks.
- Adult bouncy castle. Kind of an oxymoron, but just go with it.
- A big ass grain elevator.
- You’ll be in Red Hook on the water on a beautiful summer night.
- And finally, tickets are cheaper than dinner in Williamsburg.