5 Socially Acceptable Reasons to Hate on Taylor Swift
In music, for every inspired-nutter like Lady Gaga, there are dozens of bland barnacles. None are blander than Taylor Swift. A blandspiration to all stork-faced country-pop crossovers, Swift is also a template for what privileged popstardom looks like: Girl with well-to-do family suspiciously surpasses more deserving superstars to collect awards for totally mediocre fare. This now puts Swift at the dead-center of a hurricane-caliber backlash! Whoooosh!
But rather than pen a whole take-down of the one woman to undo the camp and cool that crooners like the Dixie Chicks and Shania Twain fused into the crusty country genre, it makes sense to step back and take a look at the five dominant forms that this wave of Swift-ian backlash is taking.
● Taylor Swift Is A Feminist’s Nightmare. Far and away the most popular argument against Swift currently. The argument packs a bigger punch when you peruse this detailed breakdown of Swift’s symbolism. Jezebel’s Dodai Stewart sums it up best though: “Taylor’s favorite storylines involve Virgin/Whore dichotomies.”
● Taylor Swift’s Music Sucks. Well obviously. In fact we’ve all known this since we learned who Swift was during a presentation of nominees that aired at the VMAs (earlier if you actually gave Fearless a whirl beforehand)–before Kanye West’s ass-hattery launched Swift onto the A-list.
● Taylor Swift Is Anti-gay. Dubious? Sure! But considering that the target demo Swift guns for generously intersect with the same subset of people valiantly fighting to keep Prop. 8 in tact in California, Swift’s primary job is to cater to these haters–even if it means forgoing pop success. Some could argue that her song “Picture to Burn” even employs “gay” to negative effect Moreover, sticks in the mud would even take issue with the fact that the cornerstone of her pop songs are the boy-girl dynamic. However that describes 99% of all other pop music as well. So Swift gets off the hook there.
● Taylor Swift Isn’t Grateful For Her Grammys. Everyone alleging this is on-point. From embarrassing Stevie Nicks to dropping one of her trophies, Swift has demonstrated that she probably was not the wisest pick for such high honors–and at such young an age, too.
● Taylor Swift Is Setting Back the Civil Rights Movement. Like the anti-gay allegations, this backlash tack is also murky. Although last year was briefly rocked by Swiftika. The world even stopped for a moment. But probably because it was mortified to learn anyone would actually show up to Katy Perry’s birthday party.