Five Best Things About The Syllabus For David Brooks’s Humility Course
Besides the contact info email@example.com, which could come in handy if you need an extension, which are only granted for emergencies, so otherwise just bootstrap yourself into a non-mediocrity and get it done.
1. Office hours are “9:30-11:30 Monday nights at coffee shop meeting room or other locale.” Leaving aside the helpful commas that could have been inserted here, what the hell? David Brooks sitting in a coffee shop till nearly midnight on a Monday, waiting for undergrads to come discuss humility with him. Amazing.
2. All the book titles are in quotation marks, New York Times-style, even though italics are used elsewhere, the fuck are you doing David Brooks.
3. On week three, the class will discuss whether there has “been a rise in narcissism.” This will be an awkward session, as everyone who enrolls is guaranteed to be a sociopath. See also: “We will ask whether it is proper to put a Yale window sticker on the back of your car.”
4. The very last bit of reading material, buried at the bottom of the page: “Life Reports by David Brooks (Three New York Times columns).”
5. Participation is 20% of your grade. Wait, what? Man, that’s actually bullshit. I have intramural Frisbee practice most Tuesdays.
Follow Miles Klee on Twitter.